Am I a LASIK Candidate?
Laser Vision Correction is modern procedure that has helped revive vision for millions of people since it became approved by the F.D.A. in the middle of the 1990's. If you have poor vision and are interested in improving your vision there are some general requirements to take into consideration before meeting with a doctor about laser vision correction:
- I'm nearsighted, farsighted, or have astigmatism.
- I'm age 18-60 (If you're over the age 60, you may be a candidate if you're free from cataracts. If you have cataracts, cataract surgery may be an option for you. Cataract surgery is also a refractive procedure, and it's usually covered by insurance).
- My vision has been stable for about 3 years.
- I have no eye problems-no recurring inflammation that causes itching. (If you have eye problems, you may still be a candidate once your doctor assists you in clearing up the problem).
- I have no health issues that may affect my eyes (e.g., Rheumatoid Arthritis or Diabetes that's currently affecting your eyes.
If you feel as though you meet the general requirement to be a candidate for laser vision correction you should schedule an evaluation to determine if you are truly a strong candidate for a LASIK procedure. Each set of eyes is extremely unique in that no two eyes appear to be the same. The only way to determine your candidacy 100% is to have an evaluation with a board certified ophthalmologist. The pre-operative evaluation will involve a series of diagnostic tests to determine the stability of your vision. After a thorough evaluation of your cornea, the doctors will be able to determine if you are a candidate. Below is a list of some items that are typically involved with the evaluation process:
- The measurement of corneal thickness, including corneal topography
- Complete review of overall eye health
- The measurement of your prescription or refractive errors
- Custom LASIK measurement for higher order aberrations.
- Dry eye test
- Complete dilation to view the back of the eye or the retina
- Glasses or contact lens history review
- Measurement of pupil size
If for some reason you are not eligible for LASIK, the ophthalmologists at Toledo LASIK & Cataract will be able to recommend other procedures that can help you improve your eye sight. There are many suitable alternatives out there for patients with various needs.
Have you been considering vision correction, but are unsure how to pay for it? Here at Toledo LASIK & Cataract, we have many options available to you, through corporate discounts, patient financing or taking advantage of your flex spending account, we will help you navigate through your financing options.
Toledo LASIK and Cataract is present at events all over the region. Click here to view our calendar of events and plan to stop by and see us. You can get an on-the-spot LASIK screening and get all your LASIK questions answered! And you can register to win FREE LASIK!
Are you ready to see clearly without the hassles of contact lenses and glasses? Toledo LASIK & Cataract use the latest technology... Bladeless LASIK. Click here to learn more and see if LASIK is right for you.
If you have cataracts you now have an option to upgrade your cataract surgery with premium intraocular lens implants. At Toledo LASIK & Cataract we can reduce your dependency or even eliminate your need for distance and reading glasses after cataract surgery! Click here to learn more about ReSTOR, Toric and Crystalens – Your premium lens options.
Would you like to win FREE LASIK? Click here to sign up online and to view our past winners!